Business Services Offered
Customized Training is training that is specifically designed for your business. Employers who are looking to fill positions that require specific skills or certifications typically use this training to meet that need. We cover 50% of the training costs, in most cases, making it affordable for you to train and hire a new employee.
We will work with you to design the right training for your business. As part of this service, we will ensure that new hires and trainees are pre-screened and vetted to your specifications, and can assist you in making the final selection.
Some examples of customized training include:
- Training new factory workers to use special equipment
- Nursing assistance trained to work within specific environments or special roles
- Helping new hires prepare for and pass certificate programs germane to your business
Here's how it works:
- We’ll work with you to determine the required skill sets of your position, training needs and duration
- Your business may provide the training or we can assist you to select a training provider
- We’ll work with you to plan and coordinate recruitment efforts as necessary
- We provide qualified candidates for you to interview or we can assess eligibility of the people you identify – you select the best candidates
- Prior to the first day of training, we’ll need to:
- Verify your business license, Workers’ Compensation Insurance, and W-9
- Develop and sign a Customized Training Agreement
- Reimbursement is typically paid at the conclusion of training and hiring process.
As a regional resource, Pacific Gateway has made those industries most important to Southern California its top priority for investment.. No matter what your training or hiring needs are, we will work to find a no-cost or low-cost solution for you. We work closely with community colleges, universities, adult schools, chambers, cities, and economic development partners to ensure you will have access to the right tools required to succeed in your industry.
On-the-Job Training (OJT)
We have a solution for you, no matter what your training or hiring needs are. We will work with you to facilitate “on-the-job training” for new employees hired through Pacific Gateway. This service helps cover the cost of a new employee's wages while they learn key skills on the job. The service offers a way for a new employee to learn essential hands-on knowledge and become an effective member of your team, and reimburses up to 50 percent of a new worker's wage rate. In some instances, up to 90 percent of a new worker's wage rate can be reimbursed.
Here's how it works:
- We maintain a database of skilled and transitioning workers across all key industries in the Pacific Gateway service area
- Based on your job opening, we provide candidates who are work-ready and possess key job-related skills you desire
- You select and hire the best candidate
- You agree to provide the additional training around the additional, essential skills (ie. company software, equipment, specialized assembly, company products and services) that meet your specific company needs
- We agree upon a percentage of the wages paid for the new employee's training to be reimbursed by Pacific Gateway - up to a maximum of a six-month period (depending on the training approved)
- We reimburse your company at the end of the training period
Hiring and Recruitment
Our team helps large and small businesses build their workforce. Whether 1 employee or 100, we can help you face your staffing shortage through the setup of just a single interview or a mass recruitment event. In addition, we can pre-screen and interview potential candidates, provide soft skill assessments, and market your job openings to help attract qualified applicants.
Some examples include:
- Coordinating mass recruitment events for a major grocery chain which included: the use of our facility, marketing recruitment event to local community, screening hundreds of applicants, and facilitating the eventual hiring of 200 new employees
- Helping a small accounting firm hire its first administrative assistant
- Assisting the Long Beach Convention Center and Long Beach Airport in hiring hundreds of new workers
- Working with local Unions and contractors to meet growing construction opportunities as a pathway into apprenticeships and direct hires
- Coordinating general and industry specific job fairs in which local employers can participate at no cost, to find qualified candidates and interview them on-site.
Simply sign up, log in, click “Services for Employers”, and a menu will populate with a helpful list of options.
To learn more about services to businesses that we can offer you if you're looking to hire a young adult contact Karla Corona via email or call (562) 570-3681
Business Workshops and Resources
Layoff Aversion and Rapid Response
We coordinate Layoff Aversion and Rapid Response Assistance services in a timely and proactive manner. Layoff Aversion services connect businesses to resources to help prevent the laying off of workers. When downsizing is unavoidable, we ensure a seamless strategy for your affected employees through Rapid Response activities. For assistance, call Jennifer Angeles at (562) 570-4705.
Our confidential and free layoff aversion services assist vulnerable businesses by quickly linking them to economic development assistance and resources to aid in retaining and strengthening their operation.
The HUBZone (Historically Underutilized Business Zone) program provides federal contracting opportunities for qualified small businesses located in distressed areas. These contracting preferences go to small businesses that obtain HUBZone certification in part by employed staff who live in a HUBZone. The HUBZone helps to foster the growth of these federal contractors as viable businesses and, for the long term, helps to empower communities, create jobs, and attract private investment. Are you in the Hubzone?
For more information, contact Seyed Jalali at (562) 570-6172
Retail Sales Tax Incentive
A Long Beach program available to a business for the period of time necessary to offset construction or improvement costs to a new expanded business and is not to exceed 15 years.
The location of your business is a critical decision that every company faces.
The City sponsors various loan programs to help businesses get started and grow. By making money available, business owners are able to create jobs and stimulate growth within Long Beach - making the city better for everyone.
To find out how you can sign up to our Business Services, contact Cort Huckabone via email or call (562) 570-4576.