Construction Career Pathways
Interested in a career in the skilled construction trades? Do you want a career to be proud of and one that has a solid advancement pathway from an apprentice to journeyman, that includes wage progression and great health and retirement benefits?
If so, please register to attend the upcoming Construction Career Pathway Webinar where we will discuss the City of Long Beach’s agreement with the Construction Trades Unions (also known as a Project Labor Agreement), as well as your options to prepare for an apprenticeship program whether you have no or some experience, how to navigate the state’s website to inform yourself on the unions apprenticeship programs, and the application process and exams for construction related apprenticeship programs.
Citywide Project Labor Agreement
As administrators to the City’s Project Labor Agreement (PLA), Pacific-Gateway ensures all contractors, including subcontractors, comply with all the applicable State laws, Federal regulations, and PLA provisions while working under contract on City construction projects applicable to the PLA whether a company is union or non-union.
The following are some key provisions in the City’s PLA:
- Applies to projects over the threshold amount of $500,000 subject to funding restrictions
- 40% of total work hours to be performed by local residents
- 10% of total work hours to be performed by qualified local, veteran and low-income residents
- Partnership with Long Beach City College, Pacific Gateway and the Trades for pre-apprentice training support for Long Beach residents
- No work stoppages or strikes